Thursday, November 29, 2007

I can now write off all book purchases as parenting expenses.

I had what I would consider my first conversation with Jack today.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The day went very well. He logged close to ten hours of sleep (too bad the dogs wanted to eat around 4:30) so was charming and well rested in the morning, which admittedly is fairly typical.

Jack's burbling has become rather experimental in its range. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's parroting anything we do but perhaps it is some latent mimicry buried in his subconscious. Ah well, now I'm rambling.

After his dinner o' sweeto potaytoes, Jack and I were sticking our tongues out at each other making noises. As usual, he paused when I made a noise to listen, and then would go back to the droolfest of slurps as is his wont. However, there's something in his eyes that suggests a synthesis of thought. I dare say he not only paused, but after the thought entered his mind, he considered it. It is a first order brain activity that separates we primates from almost all the rest of our animal relatives.

Getting Jack to literacy is pretty much my major goal of parenthood after using the toilet, so I'm exercising ever-diminishing patience for him to reciprocate. I know the state of literacy in this nation. As long as I keep our family library enormous, continue to read at a voracious pace myself, and ensure the digital media of our times doesn't dominate his world, I have no worries.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patrick, I see you are connecting with Jack, very nice. However he was trying to teach you to your finger in your mouth but you missed it for this picture !!, love, grandpa robichaud

Anonymous said...

First off, Jack was a wonderful poser in the picture. We couldn't get Gretel to behave for photos until she was about three.

Secondly, if you want Jack to be a good reader, don't just read to yourself, read to him. Every day make it a point to read to him. Make a routine at bedtime to read a book to him and stick to it. He'll develop a positive connection between literacy and comfort. He'll also have the foundations of the mechanics of reading (left to right, top to bottom, turn pages on the right).

I've got to say that this was one of the best things I did with Gretel. Her literacy scores are through the roof and she thoroughly likes to read by herself (much unlike her dad at that age!)
-Bob